birding-aus

Mallards / Ruddy ducks

Subject: Mallards / Ruddy ducks
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 10:03:45 +1000
Brent Stephenson wrote:

“The introduction of mallards to New Zealand over 100 years ago resulted in a similar problem involving the native New Zealand grey duck. The proportion of non-hybrid grey ducks has now fallen below the level that is considered essential for the continued existence of this species, whilst the mallard population continues to increase. Globally, non-native species are considered the most important threat to biological diversity after habitat loss.”

How is the Ruddy Duck in the UK comparable to the Mallard in NZ?  It's my understanding that the Ruddy Duck is the only species of Oxyura occurring/breeding in the UK.  I guess if there are hundreds of breeding birds but thousands of wintering ones, a large proportion of them must bugger off to Europe somewhere, and interbreed with threatened White-headed Ducks.  Is this the case?

I agree that Ruddy Duck is a feral pest by just being there, but at least in the UK there is no genetic swamping of an indigenous species that I'm aware of.  Mind you, there are so many species of naturalised ducks in the UK, the Ruddy Duck doesn't quite constitute the only feral problem there .....

--
=================================
Lawrie Conole

Ecology Australia Pty. Ltd.
Flora and Fauna Consultants
88B Station Street
FAIRFIELD VIC 3078 Australia
E-mail: m("ecologyaustralia.com.au","lconole");">
Internet: http://www.ecologyaustralia.com.au/
Ph: (03) 9489 4191; Mob: (0419) 588 993
Fax: (03) 9481 7679
ABN 83 006 757 142

NOTE: This message may contain privileged and/or confidential information intended for addressees only.  Please do not copy or forward without permission.