birding-aus

Werribee - Pratincoles and Shoveller

Subject: Werribee - Pratincoles and Shoveller
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 12:17:39 +1000
Dear Melbourne Birding-Ausers and other twitchers,

The Northern Shoveller was very visible all morning yesterday (Sunday) at
Melbourne Water Western Treatment Plant, Werribee on the west side of the
T-section lagoons (previously described on Birding-Aus).

The Oriental Pratincoles were also seen by several of us, after being found
by Wallie Coles et al in the afternoon.  They had moved to Paradise Road
and were hawking over the north end of Lake Borrie.  For a while, they were
settled on the north side of Paradise Road, just near where the old
boardwalk (now fallen into disrepair) is located.

Hope my photos come out.

There were of course lots of other good birds in evidence.  The
White-winged Terns in nearly full breeding plumage were quite spectacular.
There was a juvenile Blue-winged Parrot on the road soulth of Borrie.  Some
observers reported OBP's as well, but we couldn't find them.  Also worthy
of note (for me anyway) were the 13 species of ducks that can be seen on
the "Farm" at the moment.  First time I have seen that many on one day.

92 species on a really nice day in Melbourne was a good days birding,
particularly with two good rarities thrown in.

Regards

Chris