birding-aus

Re: GPS navigation units

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Re: GPS navigation units
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 18:28:20 +1000
Robert Read wrote:

> This is not directly related to recent correspondence, but is a
> warning worth repeating for those birding in remote areas .
>
> About 2 years ago I was atlassing along  a road, using a GPS for the
> coordinates of each search area without any problem.  At the next stop
> the GPS took a long time to find satellites, and then came up with a
> position somewhere in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.  I had to shut it down
> and restart twice before it gave a sensible result.  On another occasion a
> GPS gave a position about 500 km out.

Twice in one particular area between Marysville and Eildon I have had
similar results; perhaps 5-20 km out, and not points I had passed
through that day. In this area I am mainly wondering which the
intersection I am at actually is. Those were back in the Magellan days
(300 with power supply and external antenna) Now there are 2 Garmins-
one lat and long, the other co-ordinates. And even then I have "fallen
into a hole" of satelite cover. That was an unmapped junction and the
newer road was the wrong one! With a fix I could have worked on road
directions as the junction was at a sharp corner.

Brian Fleming
Melbourne