birding-aus

Unusual Heron Plumage (again)

Subject: Unusual Heron Plumage (again)
From: "Niven" <>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 18:42:57 +0930
Hi all
I've had a few replies on the herons, but keep them coming...
Just a general note - the plumage is definitely not stained. The
rufous colouration appears to be entirely natural. There have been
previous reports of birds similar to these, though there were no
photos of any great use. I took a few many years ago (mid 80's)
but they were absolutely no help, and I've seen nothing from
elsewhere that was helpful until the recent ones, which are on my
website. If you can point to any references that may shed some
light, I'd be most appreciative, but still feel free to offer your
hunches or thoughts.
By the end of the week I'll compile and post a summary of
In case you missed the url for the pictures, navigate from the
homepage of:
http://www.users.bigpond.com/birdsnt

Cheers
Niven