birding-aus

More info on Cairns birdwatching please

To: "Arron Davies" <>
Subject: More info on Cairns birdwatching please
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:20:22 +1000
Aaron,

I am not sure what you have against the Cairns esplanade except for all the
people and some drongos with dogs.

 pied imperial pigeon  Esplanade, Low Isles, mouth of the Daintree

> shining starling  not sure about Sydney St Cairns and behind the school
( river side) in Daintree but on the Tablelands they are still opposite the
turn off to Lake Barrine, at Thomas Rd and near the Curtain Fig in
Yungaburra.

> pied heron  Mareeba Wetlands and along the roadsides north of Mareeba,
Lake Mitchell

> Other birds I would love to see are boobies, frigates
> and any of the tropical terns (is seawatching from
> headlands a practical proposition in the far north ?),
Try a trip out to Michaelmas  Cay

> red necked crake, bush hen, button quails, superb or
> rose crowned fruit doves, and  white eared and pied
> monarchs

Try Wongabell State Forest Botanical walk for the crake and monarchs. Superb
FD are still calling there and at Lake Eacham. Bush hen are calling at
Petersen Crk, Yungaburra and north of Hasties Swamp but not showing very
often. Along the railway line in Atherton is more reliable. Crake and Rail
are at Kingfisher very regularly.

Button Quails seem to have gone to ground, I have not seen one in weeks.

Give me a call when in the area and I can update you on some of the other
interesting action. Also I'm your man if you are interested in seeing
tree-roos.

In haste.

Regards,
Alan Gillanders