birding-aus

RE: War on the environment nears crisis

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: RE: War on the environment nears crisis
From: "Terry Pacey" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 19:27:28 +1000
In my last posting, I made an attempt at some humour.  It was the part about
those living in humpys, etc being exempt.  I forgot that humour is lacking
on Birding-aus.  I wont make that mistake again.

With regards to my comments, I have received a number of messages that are
all critical.  Please remember I am NOT on Birding-aus and only read the
messages there when I bother to check the archives or someone tells me there
is a posting that may interest me.

A number of the messages say that there is no problem in the urban areas of
NSW and that there is no problem with birds disappearing around Sydney.  I
did remind one correspondent that there is more to Australia than Sydney or
even NSW.  I am sure he doesn't believe me.

Please, before anyone else contacts me to say that there are no problems in
urban areas they check the following study which has JUST been released.  It
refers to Queensland.  It is enlightening, particularly the map that shows
that the areas of most concern in Queensland are the Brigalow Belt (or what
remains of it), the SE Region which includes the major urban areas of
Brisbane, Ipswich,Gold and Sunshine Coasts and the major urban areas on the
coast north to Cairns.  This is what I was talking about.  Please take the
time to read the study (the whole 40 odd pages) before you bother to
respond.

http://www.wwf.com.au/downloads/Report_Clearing_and_Wildlife.pdf

We are ALL responsible for the problem and blaming anyone is not going to
help the problem.  This is what I was saying (in my clumsy way) and telling
me I am wrong is just another way of trying to divert the blame elsewhere.

Terry Pacey