birding-aus

Bird Groups

To: "'Judy Philip'" <>, "'Jim Reside'" <>
Subject: Bird Groups
From: "Bruce Roubin" <>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 18:09:50 +1100
G'Day,
Quite a few years ago on a quiz on the ABC radio program "My Word", the correct collective noun for ravens was claimed to be "a suicide of ravens".
Apparently, the association of murder and suicide with crows and ravens is on account of the black plumage (and owes something to the works of Edgar Allen Poe).
In the same vein, it's just as well "funereal cockatoo" didn't catch-on too much for our Yellow-tailed black cockatoo -  on account of the long black tails evoking a "mourning suit".
It may be a coincidence, but the aptness of "suicide of ravens" was brought out in an earlier birding-Aus email which I've extracted from the 1998 archives and appended  under my signoff
Regards
Bruce Roubin