birding-aus

RE: [BIRDING AUS] GRESWELL LAKES - URGENT

Subject: RE: [BIRDING AUS] GRESWELL LAKES - URGENT
From: David Burren <>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 19:03:54 +1100
Michael Mules wrote:

> Well, I've heard back from the Darebin C.C., and Greswell Lakes is not
> listed for drainage, especially not in the next few weeks.  Apparently, DCC
> are starting to take an interest in the lakes after all the recent publicity
> concerning the rare birdlife.  I came away from the conversation reassured
> that nothing major is going to happen to Greswell L., at least in the near
> future.

I spoke to Gayle and to people at Darebin City Council about this today.

There seems to be lots of politics going on involving Darebin City
Council, URLC (the Urban and Regional Land Corporation), the engineering
companies involved, and even the unions.

I think the work on the lakes involves dredging part of it, installation
of new drainpipes, and in the end the water level will probably be a
little lower than currently.

Apparently Gayle has been assured that they will not perform this work
until the birds have finished breeding, but I don't know what level of
guarantee was involved.

Certainly the flurry of enquiries that occurred today has reminded
people that they are "being watched".  Probably the most useful thing
that we all can do at this point is to ask (and continue to ask) at all
levels of government why NO FAUNAL SURVEYS HAVE BEEN CONDUCTED in the
area.  The lakes are part of a "green link" between significant wildlife
refuges, and as far as I'm aware there is lots of significant wildlife
involved (the Little Bittern is just one example).  But officially I
don't think this has been surveyed, DESPITE A LEGAL REQUIREMENT TO DO SO.

I'm sure the whole situation will continue to develop over the next few
months, and we should keep our eye on both the ball and the players!
__
David Burren