birding-aus

Superb Birding within 200km of Sydney 21-26 Jan 2003 Part B

To: <>
Subject: Superb Birding within 200km of Sydney 21-26 Jan 2003 Part B
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 13:42:56 +1100

ILLAWARRA REGION (60 ? 180 km south of Sydney CBD)

SHOALHAVEN HEADS/COMERONG ISLAND, 24/1/03

Wedge-tailed Shearwater 20K plus

Australasian Gannet (20-30

Arctic Jaegar (1 dark morph)

There was a feeding frenzy of Shearwaters and Gannets just behind the surf line beside Comerong Island. Unfortunately ran out of time to watch more of the action.

Pacific Golden Plovers (45 plus)

Bar-tailed Godwits (228 plus)

Eastern Curlew (10)

Red-necked Stints (40 plus)

Pied Oystercatcher (1)

White-fronted Chat (1)

White-bellied Sea-eagle (1 Imm.)

As the tide was well out, I more than likely only saw a small percentage of the birds that use this estuary

CULBURRA 24/1/03

Square-tailed Kite (amazing views of one nicely plumaged adult bird for as long as I wanted, well atleast 20 or so minutes (it?s been a few years since I last saw one and only my sixth/seventh sighting). This Kite flew very low over the suburban backyards and at one time crashed in a small leafy tree like a Baza. There is atleast one resident pair of Square-tailed Kites in the Nowra area, and I may have seen one very distant on my last visit early this year.

LAKE WOLLUMBOOLA 2/1/03

Lots of waders and thousands of waterfowl including:

Black Swans (10-15K)

Coots (4K)

Grey Teals (2K)

Sharp-tailed Sandpiper (200 plus)

Curlew Sandpipers (3)

Red-necked Stints (50-60)

Ruddy Turnstones (2)

Marsh Sandpiper (1)

Pacific Golden Plovers (8)

Red-capped Plovers (30 plus)

Gull-billed Terns (2)

Little Terns (65 plus, an underestimate and only counted the birds resting on the mudflats)

Swamp Harrier (1)

White-fronted Chats (15)

CROOKHAVEN HEADS

Sooty Oystercatchers (6)

BARREN GROUNDS NR

Eastern Bristlebirds (2 among several heard)

Grey Goshawk (a male stirring up 18 Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoos)

Gang-gang cockatoos (many seen)

Boobook Owl (one flushed in undergrowth beside track during the day)

Pilotbirds (very good views of 2 birds)

Beautiful Firetail (1 feeding on Casuarina seeds)

Logrunners (a pair amongst a few others heard)

Southern Emu-wrens (4 amongst many others heard)

Black-faced Monarchs

Rufous Fantails

One Greater Glider (dark morph) was seen at night as well as a few Common Ringtail Possums, glow worms and Red-clawed Yabbies

A good week of birding

Edwin Vella