birding-aus

Re: A flock of Lapwings

Subject: Re: A flock of Lapwings
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 10:03:46 +1100
Hi all,
I was waiting to see how high the numbers got before commenting. When I was at Uni in Tasmania (at Beauty Point north of Launceston) we used to get large roosting flocks on the patch of ground (touch football field) behind our dormitory. Can't remember exact dates (I think it was probably in winter) or exact numbers, but at certain times of year we would get over 50, and I think the largest roosting flock was somewhere around 90. I think the count was made by one of my fellow students from Western Australia, who not having them at home, got particularly annoyed by them waking him up in the middle of the night.
Cheers,
Peter

Hi Everyone,
I'm surprised someone from Tasmania hasn't commented on this. (Or did I miss
it?) I recall, years back when I first went to Tasmania, being told that
when the Tasmanian bird group did its annual wader survey, they didn't count
Masked Lapwings because there were too many. I hope I am recalling
correctly. Maybe it was just a throwaway line which I believed.

Lapwings are flocking on our local golf course at the moment, but not in
such a big way. I think the max flock I have counted is around the 35 mark.
I'm in Beerwah, in the hinterland of Qld's Sunshine Coast, and at the
northernmost point of the Glasshouse Mountains.

Cheers,

Jill
--
Jill Dening