birding-aus

Common Tern ID

To: Mike Carter <>, BIRDING-AUS <>
Subject: Common Tern ID
From: jilldening <>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 16:10:36 +1000
Oooooh Mike, I can't wait to get my head around this moult stuff so that I
can have the information below at my tonguetip. I'm going to print this
series of emails (when my printer is working again) and read and reread
them. I am just fascinated by the progression of moult. When Chris first
started giving me moult information, I was appalled that I had so much
difficulty taking it in. Just since then I have progressed amazingly, and I
know that one day I will have a better handle on it.

I have learned quite a bit from asking my simple question, and thank you all
for your input. Sorry, but it won't be the last time you hear from me.

I stood in front of a class of tern novices last weekend, and said that tern
id can be very complicated, and that this morning was only a start. When I
said to them at the start that I felt as though I know very little about
terns, in terms of what there is to know, they looked at me as if it was a
joke. After a couple of hours I could see from the body language of two or
three of them, that they thought they had it all sorted out now. I was
pleased later to have them see how I was struggling with this odd tern,
giving them some idea of how tricky it can be.

Cheers,

Jill

--
Jill Dening