birding-aus

Dust bathing Babblers

To: "birding-aus" <>, "Jon Wren" <>
Subject: Dust bathing Babblers
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 15:39:24 +1000
Jon,

We don't have a lot of dust in my garden up here on the Atherton Tablelands but our birds do sun bathe.

There are some favourite spots which have the following features in common:-

  • All on the edge of the peanut shell mulch
  • in the sun at the time
  • 140 degrees of clear access (at least) across the lawn
  • one other escape route
  • some thick vegetation within 2 metres
Birds have been seen to almost turn themselves inside out to allow the sun maximum coverage. At one time I had an Olive-backed Oriole, Bar-shouldered Dove and Pied Butcherbird lined up nose to tail along the edge of the garden.

Regards,
Alan Gillanders

On the beautiful Atherton Tablelands
145* 33' 25"E  17* 16' 40"S