birding-aus

Common Tern ID

To: "jilldening" <>, "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Common Tern ID
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:32:31 -0000

Hi Jill (and others now privately involved in this debate),

Sorry, yesterdays response was shoddy and incomplete and my interpretation of Rob Drummonds birds confused because I misinterpreted the date the photos were taken. On the slides he wrote 04/02. I assumed this meant 4th February. I now realise he meant April 02. Rob is away until 26 January so I was unable to check and he couldn't correct me. So the plumage of his birds is conventional. My revised analysis is below.

Also, I didn't explain why I dismissed Roseate Tern so readily as a possibility for your bird. In my opinion, young Roseates, those with carpal bars, never have red on the bill.

I agree your bird is a Common Tern, possibly of the nominate subspecies hirundo. However, because on the breeding grounds in Siberia, there is a wide area of overlap between the races, this is not certain. In the this area, individuals may more closely resemble either that form or the far eastern, black billed, longipennis. In Victoria, although typical longipennis out number other forms, birds resembling hirundo are not uncommon. When I was 'studying' Common Terns back in the 60's, we reckoned we were getting two intermediate races, minussensis and turkestanica. These have now been absorbed into the other two as there are no clear demarcations. Thus only extreme individuals can reliably be assigned to a subspecies. A third subspecies, tibetana from central Asia is said to occur in HANZAB region. Plumage and size are as longipennis whereas bill and legs are like hirundo so have much red.

ID to race is further complicated because the species takes three years to achieve full adult plumage, the three ages moulting in different periods. This is very detailed in HANZAB but unfortunately doesn't show when bare part colours change.

The day Jill posted her query, I received a letter with photos from Rob Drummond with a similar problem. They were terns taken at Ricketts Point in Port Phillip Bay in April 2002. Rob was confident that a black billed, red legged bird with black primaries, dark carpal bar and partially black, irregular shaped, non-breeding plumaged, crown (not extending to nape), was a Common Tern. This, I understand, was typical of others present. His query bird had a black bill, black (possibly tinged red) legs, white forehead but remainder of crown to nape black, no carpal bar, grey, not black primaries and long tail streamers extending to tip of folded wings. I consider this was an adult Common Tern of the race longipennis in almost full breeding plumage, needing only a black forehead, a darker belly and perhaps some moderation in colours of bare-parts to complete the process.
    So the red-billed bird was in 1st immature non-breeding plumage (about ten months old), probably from a population breeding in central Asia or further west whilst the black-billed bird was an adult longipennis (at least 34 months old) which had completed it's primary moult and was in the process of completing it's body and head moult, exactly in accordance with HANZAB.

This makes more sense.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza    VIC     3930