birding-aus

Rufous Scrub-bird Surveys - Barrington Tops

To: "birding-aus" <>, <>
Subject: Rufous Scrub-bird Surveys - Barrington Tops
From: "Ekerlogic Consulting Services (ECS)" <>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 09:17:31 +1100
Hi Birders,

Over the past two months, surveys for Rufous Scrub-birds have been undertaken at a frantic pace in four National Parks in north-east NSW.  Following the success of these surveys, there is only one survey remaining (this survey has been re-scheduled after cancellation due to fire risk).  This survey will occur on the 12th and 13th of January 2003.  We had great success with our recent surveys conducted on 27th and 28th at Barrington Tops, with 14 Rufous Scrub-birds being recorded.  The recent rainfall, cooler temperatures and increased humidity across the survey area has led to favourable conditions for Scrub-birds.

If you are interested in assisting with these surveys, please see the information below and contact me ASAP.

2002 Rufous Scrub-bird Surveys

Volunteers - we STILL need your help!

Survey location?

Barrington Tops National Park (turnoff Bucketts Way 10km South Gloucester)

When?

12th and 13th January 2003

Who?

Experienced and/or enthusiastic birdwatchers.

Meet?

7:30am Gloucester River Campsite

Training?

Volunteers will be briefed on the background of the project, the survey method, Rufous Scrub-bird calls and behaviour.

Accommodation?

Depending on the preference of the volunteer.  We usually camp at the picturesque Gloucester River campsite within the Park.  Accomodation is also available at Gloucester River Caravan Park 1km from Park (fully catered cabin ~$60/night)

Costs?

Volunteers will be reimbursed for their petrol and food costs (please keep your receipts).

Further Details and Registration?

For survey dates and locations, please contact me at the details below.

Peter A. Ekert
Director - Ekerlogic Consulting Services (ECS)

NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service
  --  Warragamba Special Area Fauna Survey
  --  Rufous Scrub-bird Monitoring Program in North-east NSW

North Sydney Council
  --  The Continuing Bird Monitoring Program

4 Bowen St
Wallsend NSW 2287

Ph. 02 4950 0573   Mob. 0410566104   Fax.  02 4950 0573
Em.