birding-aus

Australasian gannet sightings

Subject: Australasian gannet sightings
From: TANYA MARIE PYK <>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 10:20:49 +1100 (EST)
Dear Birding-Aus members,

I am studying the Australasian gannets breeding at Pope's Eye in Port Phillip
Bay,
Victoria for my honours project. I am particularly interested in their feeding
ecology. I have colour marked some birds from the Pope's Eye colony and would
like
to find out how far from the colony they can be found and where they are
feeding.
Here is where I am looking for your assistance. If you see any gannets in Port
Phillip Bay, Western Port or along the Victorian coast between 4 Jan - 31 Jan
2003,
you can assist me by recording your observations and at the end of the month
sending
them to me.

Information I am interested in obtaining is:

DATE

LOCATION (of birds) - as accurately as possible with relation to distance from
land
or land marks. It is not necessary to give map coordinates, but you may do so
if you
wish.

TIME

# GANNETS OBSERVED (this includes marked and non-marked gannets)

# MARKED GANNETS OBSERVED

COLOUR MARK ON GANNETS - of all gannets observed, the number that were marked
either
yellow/orange (Y) or dark brown (B)

BEHAVIOUR OF MARKED GANNETS - Flying (F), Diving (D), Sitting on water (S). You
may
go into more detail if you wish eg. F and looking down/ F looking straight ahead

EXTRA COMMENTS - any other observations you wish to record, eg. behaviour of
non-
marked gannets

Please feel free to record information in as little or as much detail as you
wish.
To make recording observations easier I can email you a table, which I could
not
attach with this email. If you would like a copy of the table please email me
and I
will send it to you.

Please do not send each observation individually, but send all the observations
you
made between 4 Jan - 31 Jan 2003 at the end of January or beginning of February
2003.

Thank you for your help.

Tanya Pyk

(03)9251 7412