birding-aus

A lone Fork-tailed Swift (Vic)

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: A lone Fork-tailed Swift (Vic)
From: "lyell" <>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 21:28:24 +1100
Hi All
    Whilst wandering around central Vic today, spotted a lone Fork-tailed Swift flying over the bush behind the Glenburn pub 37 25' 33"S  145 25' 08"E.   Is this unusual to see a single bird?.  It flew behind a large gum and was lost in the low cloud.
Some other sightings for the day included calling into Cussen's Park at Tatura where at least 23 Red-kneed Dotterels, 4 Latham's Snipe, 8 Black-tailed Native-hen and 7 Black-fronted Dotterel were enjoying the muddy edge of the swamp..  The main area of the swamp is dry, but in the areas where the swamp is obviously a little deeper I recorded 40+ Black-winged Stilt, Pelican, Grey & Chestnut Teal, Royal Spoonbill and Reedwarbler plus bush birds.
All in all a great start to the year with 75 species seen for the day.
There's been a nice drop of rain fall around central Victoria over the last couple of days and the water along the road verges was pleasing to see. May just save our wildlife from further stress and lessen the bushfire danger slightly.  Here's hoping.
I wish all a very safe, happy New Year with great birding.
Marlene
Marl