birding-aus

SE Melbourne birds etc.

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: SE Melbourne birds etc.
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 00:32:48 +1100
Why - you may have been asking - has there been no recent
posting on Birding-Aus about unusual birds in Bayside, SE
Melbourne ?

Answer - little doing.  I had a very convincing report of a
male Scarlet Honeyeater in Beaumaris in the last third of
October - the first Bayside record. And Kookaburras are
breeding again - and perhaps eliminating almost all the
animals in our best frog site (as featured in The Age on 7
November).

(And at our best blue-tongue lizard site the one pictured
with yours truly in the Bayside Leader on 11/11 was probably
collected by the commercial poachers in the next few days.)

With water levels falling that Black-tailed Native Hen
(present since May) seems to have left Elsternwick in late
November.

But I did see a young Horsfield's Bronze-cuckoo being fed by
a Brown Thornbill in Brighton (near the end of North Road)
and there was a Common Sandpiper just east of the marine
sanctuary on 25/11.

Michael Norris
Bayside Friends of Native Wildlife