birding-aus

White-headed Pigeon - Vict.?

Subject: White-headed Pigeon - Vict.?
From: Dr Richard Nowotny <>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 20:45:23 +1100
At 14:13 02/12/2002 +1100, you wrote:
From: Martin on 02/12/2002 02:13 PM

Michael Mules report of a White-headed Pigeon deserves some attention.
The Handbook of Australian NZ and Antarctic Birds (Vol. 3, 1996 p. 848) gives
the following account of this species in Victoria:
'No confirmed records; claims include Metung 1990, 1991; Powelltown 1992;
Bairnsdale 1994.' ****This is surprising, Martin.  My recollection is of a number of reported sightings over the past few years, including several in the Warburton/Powelltown area.  Chris Lester, Diana Bryant and I some years ago (? 6 or 7) observed 2 or 3 birds at close range which had been feeding daily at an artist's house in Warburton, and I'm sure there had been previous sightings in the same area.  We didn't report our sighting, not considering it particularly rare (and we weren't the first to see these particular birds).**
The Atlas of Victorian Birds (1987) has no mention of the species but the Atlas
of Victorian Wildlife Database has 28 records of this bird, with additonal
observations from just east of Melbourne. The Narracan observation would fall
between the Melbourne and Bairnsdale sightings.
This new sighting should be forwarded to the Atlas of Victorian Wildlife (tel.
039 450 8600) so the observation can be confirmed or otherwise.

Martin O'Brien
Executive Scientific Officer, Scientific Advisory Committee
Department of Natural Resources and Environment
4/250 Victoria Pde., East Melbourne  3002

RICHARD NOWOTNY
8 Pier St   Port Melbourne
VIC  AUSTRALIA  3207
(H)  61-3-9645.6870