birding-aus

Bribie seabirds and beyond

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Bribie seabirds and beyond
From: "Trevor Ford" <>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 00:50:38 +1000
G'day,

Not too much happening off Bribie Island, 70km north of Brisbane QLD in the
past couple of days, except for small groups of Short-tailed Shearwaters
(presumably young non-breeders) heading south, and even smaller groups of
White-winged Black Terns heading north.  Five Whiskered Terns in nearby
Caboolture today was unusual.

Several folk have asked me to report when I see Broad-billed Sandpiper again
this year - nothing yet, I'm afraid (although I've not visited Toorbul
recently).

And several folk have asked me to elaborate on my cryptic comment of about a
month ago - "off to see a Light-mantled Sooty Albatross".  In fact I went on
a pelagic trip from Cape Town to the Prince Edward Islands and on to the
Antarctic pack ice.  Without going into all the trip details, here's my
first shot at a species list - something to feel cool about in this
Queensland November heat.  Those marked with (*) were only seen around the
Cape after the pelagic trip.

Penguins: King, Emperor, Gentoo, Adelie, Chinstrap, Macaroni, Rockhopper,
African (Jackass).

Albatrosses: Wandering (Snowy), Southern Royal, Northern Royal,
Black-browed, Shy (White-capped), Salvin's, Grey-headed, Atlantic
Yellow-nosed, Indian Yellow-nosed, Sooty, Light-mantled Sooty.

Petrels: Southern Giant, Northern Giant, Antarctic, Pintado (Cape), Snow,
White-headed, Great-winged, Soft-plumaged (Atlantic and Indian),
White-chinned, Atlantic, Kerguelen, Blue, Grey, Southern Fulmar.

Prions: Salvin's, Antarctic, Slender-billed, Fairy.

Shearwaters: Cory's (Atlantic and Mediterranean), Great, Sooty, Manx,
Little.

Diving Petrels: Common, South Georgian.

Storm Petrels: Wilson's, Grey-backed, Black-bellied, Leach's.

Gannets: Cape.

Cormorants: Crozet, Cape, Bank (*), Crowned, White-breasted, Reed (*).

Sheathbills: Lesser.

Phalaropes: Grey.

Skuas: Sub-antarctic, Tristan, Pomarine, Arctic, Long-tailed.

Gulls: Cape, Kelp, Hartlaub's, Grey-headed (*), Sabine's.

Terns: Crested, Sandwich, Caspian (*), White-winged Black (*), Common,
Arctic, Antarctic, Kerguelen, Little (*), Damara (*).

Cheers - Trevor.