birding-aus

Curlew Sandpiper:Numbers Flagged

To: Darryl McKay <>, birding-aus <>
Subject: Curlew Sandpiper:Numbers Flagged
From: Kym Bennet <>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 11:42:21 +1100 (EST)
Sorry Darryl

If your information is quoted fully and accurately,
then the AWSG web site is mistaken.

The numbers of Curlew Sandpipers you quote as leg
flagged is only a small selection of the total numbers
of these birds that have been leg flagged and banded.
I have figures from wader research sites that show the
totals of banded and leg flagged curlew sandpipers
being much greater, in the order of 50000 birds. I
agree that the total need official (audited)
clarification.

This is part of the problem.  The total numbers of
waders flagged is not published in a regular or clear
and concise manner. When banding numbers are published
they are invariably disguised as regional totals and
often inconsistent with other numbers quoted. The bird
banding system appears to be a total mess and clearly
needs a strict audit and review.

The banders own leg flagging protocol is a very
confused and incomplete document. It needs great
improvement.

http://www.tasweb.com.au/awsg/docs/Colour%20Flagging%20Protocol%202001.pdf

It shows proposed banding totals which i can prove
have been exceeded. It mentions 1% criteria in the
tables but does not specify if that means numbers of
birds to be targeted per year or their proposed all
time total. It quotes regional and state wader
populations as a criteria for target totals but we all
know that for international migratory species, this is
absurd. It specifies multiple leg flags and also metal
banding for many waders. It specifies that red-necked
phalaropes are to be flagged even though any
reasonable consideration of their pelagic habits would
rule that out as unacceptable.

But we can can research this all we like on the net
but this is straying from the main point which is
clear to many observers who watch waders: That leg
flagging small waders is detrimental and does
considerably more harm than good. Leg flagging may
well be catastrophic to many of them. ie. curlew
sandpipers and red-necked stints

I watch waders regularly and see red-necked stints and
curlew sandpipers with two plastic flags and also a
metal band attached. This is usually at the end of our
wader season after recent activities of banders are
evident. These birds probably die soon after as i have
never seen any early in the season when the waders
return.

Regards

Kym Bennet

 --- Darryl McKay <> wrote: > A
visit to the Australasian Waders Studies Group web
> site.
>
> Numbers of Curlew Sandpipers flagged.
> 1989 to 2000 = 7934 in Victoria
> 1999 to 2000 = 35 in South Australia
> 1992 to 1999 = 3862 in North-west Australia
> Total 11831  from an estimated 250,000 total
> population
>
> Only one flag is placed on the bird, not 2,3 or
> more!
>
> The program of flagging waders has revolutionised
> wader migration studies.
> The flag is a small coloured plastic band with a tab
> on the end. Unlike with
> banding, the bird does not have to be caught to find
> out in which region it
> has been banded.
>
> Its a shame that some people cannot be bothered to
> do a little research for
> the facts.
>
> Darryl McKay
> Bankstown NSW
>
> Birding-Aus is on the Web at
> www.shc.melb.catholic.edu.au/home/birding/index.html
> To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send the
> message
> "unsubscribe birding-aus" (no quotes, no Subject
> line)

http://www.yahoo.promo.com.au/hint/ - Yahoo! Hint Dropper
- Avoid getting hideous gifts this Christmas with Yahoo! Hint Dropper!