birding-aus

Birders' Use of Birding-Aus

To: <>
Subject: Birders' Use of Birding-Aus
From: "Andrew Stafford" <>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:28:16 +1000
This topic seems to be going around in circles now, so I'll simply ask: what
is "relevant"? Obviously birders feel differently about what constitutes a
genuine contribution. Some obviously only want to read trip reports,
discussions of bird behaviour and so on. Others (including myself) are
interested in a broader sense in conservation issues. Hence I have recently
made contributions to the situation in Tasmania regarding foxes, which is
surely profoundly relevant to bird and wildlife conservation in that state.

I also earned the ire of at least one subscriber for engaging Kiran Krishna
over recent statements he made regarding humanity's relationship to the
environment. I asked Kiran how his position was compatible with
conservation. Some obviously found this thread a little too arcane for their
tastes, but Russell Woodford's guidelines extend to bird conservation, and I
was interested in how Kiran rationalised his standpoint in those terms.

I personally haven't found the volume of rubbish on birding-aus to be higher
than usual lately. I don't read the vast majority of what comes in. I get
frustrated with it like everyone else, but this discussion has come around
many times before, and birders subscribe and unsubscribe all the time. I
have to say I've found it far more bearable lately due to the relative
quietness of certain agitators who shall remain nameless...

Maybe we should collectively take a deep breath, get away from these damn
computers and go birding instead - it'd make us all feel better.

Cheers, AS