birding-aus

Birders' Use of Birding-Aus

Subject: Birders' Use of Birding-Aus
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 11:19:15 +1000

Dear Birding-Ausers,

At the risk of entering the infamous list of the "top 100" contributors (or
should I be aspiring to?), I would like to comment on some of the e-mails posted
since yesterday on the topic of the use by birders of Birding-Aus.  There are
many people near the top of the "top 100" list whose contributions I enjoy and
usually read.  Volume is not necessarily a problem.

My major point yesterday was about the QUALITY of contributions.  I do think
quite adamantly that contributions should mostly be about birding-related
topics.  (At the risk of repeating myself, Birding-Aus is not a generalised
chat-room and, it appears to me, some contributors don't think enough about what
they are posting. Particularly the contributions that are sometimes quite rude
and intolerant.)

I think it is very unfortunate when ANY subscriber feels the necessity to leave
Birding-Aus permanently for any reason.  When this happens, I think we are
failing as a group.  Diversity should be encouraged. I am well aware that the
material I find interesting might not be of major interest to others and vice
versa (although I find it hard to believe that anyone might not be interested in
my postings).

I actively use the delete button and, like others, routinely delete the
contributions of some subscribers.  I know this is easier for me than many
others as I do my e-correspondence at work and don't have to worry about
downloading times via the telephone.

Therefore, along with some others, I find Tony's decision to unsubscribe
disappointing and I too hope he reconsiders.  He regularly posts contributions
that I find interesting.  Howeevr, I also think he is entitled to post
birding-related contributions that I don't find interesting.  For that type (the
uninteresting ones), I will continue to use the delete button on him and others.

Birding-Aus has enormous potential to offer something to all birders, but it is
not a uniform package. Occasional debate about what we are on about should be
seen as healthy.  But, again (this is getting repetitive isn't it) it should be
constructive.

Chris