birding-aus

Filtering out "spam" (or "nuisance" messages) on Birding-Aus

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Filtering out "spam" (or "nuisance" messages) on Birding-Aus
From: Dr Richard Nowotny <>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 21:26:25 +1000
My resolve not to get involved in this issue has finally given way! (Mea culpa!) The following somewhat emotive exposition arises from a steadily increasing sense of annoyance at what I consider to be unreasonably self-serving use of this generally excellent forum by some of us.

Most of us are aware, from both personal experience and the occasional departing messages of disgruntled ex-users of Birding-Aus, that there are some of us who insist on using it as our personal and often very idiosyncratic chat forum - carrying on an insistent, even daily mailing of stuff which at best is of little or no interest to the vast majority of readers and at worst borders on near-incomprehensible nonsense.  I guess on a public forum this is our individual right (even if it ignores, and even conflicts with, the interests of the majority), and I assume that some readers find some of these postings interesting and/or entertaining in an eccentric sort of way.  (It may however be better if some of us didn't always choose to exercise our individual rights regardless of other people's interests, but instead showed some sensitivity to what is after all a collective endeavour.)

However, (as many of course will already know) there is a solution for those who, like me, find this particular problem annoying, frustrating, irritating, or just a waste of our time and space.  Email programs have a "filter" facility which enables users to filter selected incoming messages (eg from particular authors) and automatically transfer them to their Trash file, such that they don't even appear in the In-tray.  Each of us can obviously elect to use this facility to determine which incoming messages we deem to be "spam" and avoid having to be bothered by them.  (I assume that some readers may now choose to do this with any further messages from me - and this is their right, and is certainly OK by me.)

End of diatribe.  Ahhh - that feels better!!!
Good filtering folks!
Regards
Richard