birding-aus

Newcastle Pelagic

To: <>
Subject: Newcastle Pelagic
From: "Lynn Jenkin" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 21:25:17 +1000
Hi again

There will no doubt be a more official report on exact numbers of species seen etc but as we had such an excellent trip out of Swansea ( south of Newcastle ) on the 14/9/2002, I thought it would be of interest to a few of you. Twenty three species were seen the other side of the Continental Shelf, where we drifted for about 3 to 4 hours.

The highlight being a new bird for the "Hunter Region", a White-headed Petrel which gave all on board splendid views and photos as it circled the boat several tim s.

 Other highlights included 6 species of Shearwaters, 4 species of Albatross including adult Wandering ( Race gibsonii & antipodensis) & Shy Albatross, Slender-billed Prion, several Providence Petrels around 20 Cape Petrels and both Southern & Northern Giant Petrels.

Species seen

White fronted Tern
Crested Tern
Fairy Prion
Slender-billed Prion
Wedge-tailed Shearwater
Fluttering Shearwater
Hutton's Shearwater
Fleshy-footed Shearwater
Short-tailed Shearwater
Sooty Shearwater
White-faced Storm Petrel
Black-browed Albatross
Yellow-nosed Albatross
Shy Albatross
Wandering Albatross
Cape Petrel
White-headed Petrel
Providence Petrel
Great-winged Petrel
Northern Giant Petrel
Southern Giant Petrel
Pomarine Jaeger
Australasian Gannet

Apologies for the order listed , lack of numbers and scientific names, as I will leave that to someone more in the know than myself.

Cheers

Dick Jenkin
DUNGOG