birding-aus

3 species of Bittern in one day!

To: <>
Subject: 3 species of Bittern in one day!
From: "Andrew Stafford" <>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 20:49:37 +1000
I was wondering when John Young's name would come up in this discussion. The
seven owls in a night story immediately came to my mind.

I've had a couple of occasions worth a mention on this thread, with one day
in the Capertee Valley producing Diamond and Beautiful Firetail, Zebra,
Double-barred, Plum-headed and Red-browed Finch. But I don't know if anyone
has ever come close (ok, bothered to try) getting eight grasswrens in a
calendar month, as Peter Lansley and myself managed in August-September of
1991. It took us 28 days and approximately 18,000 kilometres of driving. We
also saw all three emu-wrens! I wonder now if anyone will have a crack at 10
grasswrens, with Kalkadoon and Short-tailed Grasswren now all but admitted
to the Australian list?

OK, it's all a bit trivial, but it's part of what makes birding fun. By the
way, congratulations to Sean Dooley, who has already passed 600 species for
the calendar year as he attempts to break all records - I'm sure we can
expect to hear from him again, just as soon as he (and me!) finishes
celebrating or drowning his sorrows post-Collingwood v Lions Grand Final on
Saturday.

Cheers, AS