birding-aus

Info on rare bird locations

Subject: Info on rare bird locations
From: Penn Gwynne <>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 20:29:17 -0700 (PDT)

I think that Syd is trying to make me cry? oh yes please BUT think like a poacher and check out if this idea has any flaws, if you think like a poacher then normally you can catch them? it's just a case of knowing exactly where the poachers are at any given moment, so they can be caught in the act, but then it's the act that causes the damage?

Yours in avian friendship Pen (In magpieland).

Syd Curtis <>wrote:

Concern has been expressed about divulging locations for rare birds. May I float an idea on handling this problem? Might it be possible for Birding-aus to come to some arrangement with State Wildlife Authorities whereby an Authority could give us a contact email address to which we could send information on rare species locations.

Then in response to a request for location information from someone not known and trusted by the person who has the information, the reply could be along the lines of, "I have given some information to the (State) Wildlife Authority who may be contacted at (address). If satisfied of your bona fides, the Authority will give you directions."

That would probably deter most of those who were seeking the information for illicit purposes, and (presumably) give the Authority a potential lead if any apparent interference with the birds subsequently transpired.

The downside that occurs to me is that it might unreasonably add to the wo rk-load of our already under-staffed and over-worked wildlife officers, without assisting them sufficiently to warrant the effort.

There are wiser heads than mine on Birding-aus. Any thoughts on the matter?

Syd Curtis (in Brisbane)

Do you Yahoo!?