birding-aus

Re: Info on rare bird locations

Subject: Re: Info on rare bird locations
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:31:34 +1000
Syd suggested ".... whereby an Authority could give us a contact email address
to which
we could send information on rare species locations."

Most states have a wildlife atlas database in existence.  I gather though
that Syd's suggestion goes further than this.  Not a bad idea in theory
but this is only going to work if people submit records - and I am
constantly hearing of Regent Honeyeater sightings that don't get reported
despite people knowing just how important it is for the Recovery Effort to
keep tabs on this species.

Furthermore, it will only work for those individuals that are concerned
about people's motives.  Many people are not that suspicious and will
happily direct others to locations.  If, for example, I tell Joe Bloggs
where to find some particular Regent Honeyeaters I could almost guarantee
that within weeks there would be a well worn track to that location as
word got around.   There is then no need for people to contact whatever
authority that initially provided the information as it is freely
available through the grape vine.

Take, also, the example of my telling Joe Bloggs where to find Regents but
not telling his best mate (because someone else told me he had suspect
ethics in regards birds) even though Joe directed him to me.  What a mess.

I remember a few years ago I was accused by some twitchers of
"withholding" information.  I stopped to chat to them at Kooragang Island
(I was living just up the road at the time) and we got chatting about the
birds that were around.  They got a bit upset when I mentioned
White-winged Black Terns and a few other things they hadn't seen.  The
suggestion was that because I hadn't reported it on a bird line I was
negligent in my "duties" as a birder.  The fact that all of my records
were reported to the Hunter Bird Observers Club just wasn't good enough.
It seems that bird watchers have become increasingly hung up on chasing
that rare bird and more reliant on others to find their birds for them.
There are some notable exceptions and I am quite happy to put forward the
names Edwin Vella and Keith Brandwood here.  There are many more but they
are seemingly becoming a minority.

I will not gracefully step of my soap box - sorry about that.

Back to the original point.

I don't think there is an easy answer to the reporting of rare birds.
Certainly everybody SHOULD report sightings to whatever authority collates
that information.  Another question is what species should be regarded as
sensitive, and who makes that decision.  Rare parrots may qualify, raptors
that may be sensitive to disturbance at nest sites?  Food for thought.

Cheers

David Geering
Regent Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator
NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service
P.O. Box 2111
Dubbo  NSW  2830
Ph: 02 6883 5335 or Freecall 1800 621 056
Fax: 02 6884 9382

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message may be
those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service.