birding-aus

Re: Info on rare bird locations

Subject: Re: Info on rare bird locations
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 11:14:56 +1100
>It seems that bird watchers have become increasingly hung up on chasing
>that rare bird and more reliant on others to find their birds for them.

Yes, and surely it is infinitely more rewarding to find a bird for yourself
after seeking out likely habitat, than to be told exactly where to look, x
metres along the track, in a particular branch of a certain tree, etc.

My favourite approach when birding for my own recreation is to search for a
particular species precisely where it has NOT been seen in preference to
where it has. Not necessarily the fastest way to chalk up your life list,
but at least when you do find something unexpected you have the added
satisfaction of being able to add to the knowledge. In a country like
Australia there are still so many gaps - of course that's the beauty of
Atlassing.

Carol