birding-aus

Re: Great Crested Grebe[around Melbourne]

To: Hugo Phillipps <>
Subject: Re: Great Crested Grebe[around Melbourne]
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 13:32:14 +1000
I'm sure some of the recent GCG records are the result of
the good breeding conditions inland a year or so ago.

In the City of Bayside there have been records of individual
birds about once every 4 years (including flying past and
beach-washed). One stayed in Beaumaris Bay for some time in
July/August 1980 and then this year we had one to three
birds recorded almost daily from 13 July to 2 August.

(And Black-tailed Native-hen recorded for 7 of the last 13
months, Buff-banded Rail for months, a White-necked Heron
staying on the Royal Melbourne Golf Course for a month...)

Michael