birding-aus

Re: Noisy Friardbird in SE Melbourne

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Re: Noisy Friardbird in SE Melbourne
From: "Karen Pearson" <>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 13:15:15 +1000
 I'd like to thank Mike Norris (as always) for enticing me on my morning off
to spend it lolling around Church St, Brighton having brekkie and numerous
lattes, spending a small fortune in the shops and in the process gaining a
tick in very luxurious surroundings.

After rustling up some courage I managed to drag my binoculars out from my
Gucci handbag (I had to try and blend in somehow!) and had glorious views of
the Friarbird exactly where Micheal had described outside the 'Feathers'
shop.   When I looked in my handbook last night I thought "Well that's a bit
of a drab looking bird".  But I was completely wrong and could have sat
there watching it all day.  It was calling beautifully and giving the opera
drifting out of nearby Pottecelli's restaurant a run for it's money.

The friendly fellow in the Country Road shop now knows a bit about
Friarbirds.  After already confessing to him that I'd just spent large
quantities of money in his shop because of coming to see a bird in a tree
outside, I thought I may as well top it off by showing him a picture from my
field guide.   He did say, maybe to make me feel not that strange, that he'd
had a lovely time watching some Rosellas at Mt Buller last weekend.  I think
he may be a birder in the making, and today may have just done the trick !!

I last saw the Friarbird at 11 am flitting between the trees in the middle
of 'Feathers' and Country Road then racing off to the carpark behind the
Thesaurus shop.  After initially being a little self-conscious about looking
through my binoculars in the main street of upmarket Brighton, I hardly
needed to worry.  Not one single person asked me what on earth I was doing!
That's even more worrying than me being there doing it !!!!

Cheers,
Karen
Hampton, VIC.