birding-aus

Tawny Frogmouth Deaths

Subject: Tawny Frogmouth Deaths
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 11:31:27 +1000 (EST)

Apparently (not sure of the accuracy of this information) in Sydney at the
start of every summer, a large percentage of the Tawny Frogmouth population
dies out.  I would be interested to know if anybody would know why.

I have been assisting with work on the endangered Mountain Pygmy Possum.  Last
year it was found that that may have another threatening process from arsenates
being delivered into their food chain via Bogong Moths, who are transporting it
from their wintering sites in Queensland to their summer locations in the high
country.

I am wondering if it is possible that this could be a reason for deaths of
Tawny Frogmouths as it would correspond with the moth migration period.

I am wondering if anybody has done any work on this topic, and if they can
provide further information, as for all I know, I may have my facts incorrect.
Is their any information out their that could benefit people working on this
topic for Mountain Pygmy Possums such as known wintering sites for Bogong Moths
where they could have come into contact with arsenic based products.

Will look forward to any replies.

Paul