birding-aus

RFI Queensland - The Usual suspects 2

Subject: RFI Queensland - The Usual suspects 2
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 09:51:17 +1000

This is the second half of my list - apologies to non-twitchers

Flock Bronzewing
Boulia
Western Queensland generally
I guess this one would be worth following up recent records later in the year.

Oriental Cuckoo
Mt Molloy
Atherton
Iron Range (where 1 was seen briefly last time)
Probably could be anywhere and finding it is the main problem.

Grass Owl
Nifold Plain, Lakefield NP (this seems like the best bet, but I haven?t found out exactly where it is) Is it here at the end of the dry? Where is nearest camping area?
Kinshant Dam (Mackay)
Eubanangee Swamp (where is this?)
Driving at night would also improve the odds.

Little Kingfisher
Daintree
Iron Range (any specific sites?)
Weipa
Cairns Croc Farm
Rowes Bay (Twonsville)
Centennial Lake (Cairns)
Redden Island (what is access like here?)
Mourilyan Harbour, Etty Bay, Innisfail
Ross River Bush Garden, Alpin?s Weir, Townsville
I am not leaving until I see this bugger (it has eluded me far too long)

Carpentarian Grasswren
Is this observable at Lady Loretta site in November?

Striated Grasswren
Does anyone have any information on the subspecies at Opalton (sites, access, habitat ? assuming Spinifex?)

Yellow Chat
Diamantina River (any specific locations?)
Curtis Island (Rockhampton) (Is there public access here?)

White-breasted Whistler
Karumba ? has anyone recorded this recently here?

Pale-bellied White-eye
Pajinka (I am assuming this is offshore somewhere?)
Mt Adolphus Island (Access?)
Lizard Island (Are they here, and any experience with day trips?)
Raine Island (Access?)
Possibly quite a difficult species

Zitting Cisticola
Karumba ? seems the best option
Nifold Plain
Gru (Townsville?)
Alva Beach

Red-rumped Swallow
Newell Beach
Lower Freshwater Road
Daintree River Ferry
Mt Molloy Turn off
I guess any Swallows around Mossman are worth checking out (also for House Swift and Pacific Swallow)

Arafura Fantail
Karumba
Only 1 report for this (sub)species. Possibly not listed as Rufous Fantail. Any ideas of abundance in the Gulf?

Brown Treecreeper (Cape York race)
Mt Carbine Road
Any known locations for this subspecies?

Crimson Finch (Cape York race)
Lakefield NP?

Star Finch (Cape York race)
Lakefield NP?