birding-aus

RFI Queensland - the Usual Suspects 1

Subject: RFI Queensland - the Usual Suspects 1
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 09:45:08 +1000
I am heading to Cape York in November and am getting in early to try and track down a number of species that I am keen to track down. This is my third trip to Iron Range, and so I have a good idea on many of the endemic species, but as you will see it is the ?usual suspects? that I am after info on.

The trip is going via western Queensland, across the Gulf up to Cape York and back down to Cairns for a few days. I will probably travel back down the coast as far as Townsville, before heading back into western Queensland. Even though I am in Sydney, I will be starting from Canberra.

I have checked through the archives, and have listed a number of sites for each species. Mainly I guess I am trying to track down any additional areas, and if anyone has knowledge of specific locations of certain species at Iron Range. I will also try and send some e-mails directly to a few people who have listed interesting things in the past ? you have been warned.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, and once again I intend to write up a report after the trip for other people?s use.
So here starts the list

King Quail
Paluma
Alva Beach, Ayr
Are there any other locations (swamps?) where this species has been recorded? I have seen it once before, but would like to track it down again.

Spotted Whistling-duck
Weipa (including Sewage Treatment Works?)
Chili Beach
Has it been seen anywhere further north?

Great Frigatebird
Michelmas Cay
Portland Roads
Weipa
I have only seen Lesser Frigatebirds at the latter two locations, but would be interested to know of records of Greats

Red Goshawk
Musgrave/Lotus Bird Lodge/12 Mile Waterhole, Lakefield NP (Are these the same record?)
Mitchell River (though this an exceptionally long river?)
Abattoir Swamp
Mary River (not certain where this is ? hopefully I haven?t confused with NT records) Of course this is one of the highly desired, but reasonably unlikely species. A few people have mentioned maps from Lotusbird Lodge (or possibly elsewhere). I guess they are supplied to guests only, and would also be an issue in terms of access (if on private land). Any hints on this one (knowing the sensitivity of breeding records and I guess the chances of birds moving) would be greatly appreciated.

Red-necked Crake
Cassowary House (Kuranda)
Kingfisher Park (Are they still about?)
Cairns Botanic Gardens
Mission Beach (Tam O?Shanter SF)
Iron Range (does anyone know specific locations?)
Pajinka
Lots of potential sites and I guess tapes would help in non-fed areas.

Bush-hen
Daintree (Red Mill)
Kingfisher Park (Have had them very close but wouldn?t come out of the grass) I have also seen one (very briefly) near Curtain Fig, but would like to get better views

Chestnut Rail
Has anyone recorded this in the Gulf (Karumba or Weipa)?
Does it respond to call playback?

Red-backed Button-quail
Lotusbird Lodge was the only place I could find (any specific location?)
Friends caught one in the main street of Atherton last trip, but I wasn?t about. Any ideas on habitat preferences would be great (I would also like to track this down in northern NSW one day as well).

Buff-breasted Button-quail
Mt Molloy
Mareeba Wetlands
Reading Lloyd Nielsen?s e-mail I am not holding my breath on this one. I guess any recent records would be worth following up and I will do another request just before I head off.

Painted Snipe
Any records from north Queensland would be interesting, but I think it will probably be better to follow up results from the recent survey (and wait for one this summer near Sydney).

Oriental Plover
Lake Moondaria

Oriental Pratincole
Lake Moondaria
Yarraba Turf Farm
Atkinson?s Dam
Lockhart River airport?

Little Curlew
Lake Moondaria
Quaid?s Dam (Southedge Lake ? Mareeba)
Karumba
Yarraba Turf Farm
Cairns (we saw 1 distantly last trip)

All three of the above species should be around the same areas, particularly in the Gulf. Does anyone have information on arrival dates and the likelihood of appearance?