birding-aus

Good Tmes Ahead.

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Good Tmes Ahead.
From: "bruce Cox" <>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 12:05:24 +1000
Hi everyone,

I am getting a strong feeling that Sydney birders are in for a bumper second
half of this year, the reason being drought driven birds displaced to the
coast by very dry conditions inland. In the past few weeks I have seen 4
species new or rare to the Northern beaches area: Little Lorikeets ( new to
my local list after 15 years birding the area), Hoary-headed Grebe ( a raft
of 20 on Narrabeen Lagoon last Tuesday, only seen once in the area prior to
a month ago), Yellow-billed Spoonbill at Warriewood Wetland (only 2 previous
sightings), White-necked Heron, 8 overflying this morning (only twice
previously). Also a possible Brown Bittern overflying the rugby grounds at
North Narrabeen.(would be new for my area list).

Hopefully we can look forward to all sorts of lovelies: bitterns, crakes and
rails, ground birds like button-quail and Brown Songlarks, inland
honeyeaters, nice woodswallows, unusual raptors (Letter-winged Kite?)---the
list goes on and on.

Boys and girls, All you have to do is get out there and start looking.

Bruce.

Bruce Cox.
48 Rangers Retreat Rd. Frenchs Forest.
Sydney. 2086.  Australia.