birding-aus

Lost Pigeon at Capertee Valley

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Lost Pigeon at Capertee Valley
From: Vicki Powys <>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 17:42:48 +1000
It's taken some days, but finally I have traced the owner of this pretty
little "feral" pigeon.  The banded bird (from Merrylands in Sydney) was in a
$4000 race and was released at Dubbo on Saturday 22nd June.  It was right on
line for Sydney when it landed on my roof in Capertee Valley on Monday
morning 24th.  "Most likely it was put down by a hawk" said the owner.
(Sorry to tell you Tim Dolby that the hawk missed out on lunch that time!)

After several days, Pidge is now coming good and flying in circuits around
my house, his owner says the bird may have been slightly injured but will
soon fly home and will get to race again next year.  (I can't catch the
bird, otherwise the owner would come and get him.)

So if you see a feral pigeon with leg rings looking lost, do take the time
to track down its owner.  You may be pleasantly surprised.  My contact in
this case was via the Australian Pigeon Fanciers Assoc. at Greystanes in
Sydney.   (Maybe Peregrine Falcons could join the club too Tim?)

Vicki Powys
Capertee Valley NSW