birding-aus

Re RFI SW Australia

To: "Irene Denton" <>
Subject: Re RFI SW Australia
From: "John Walter" <>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 17:11:18 +1000
Irene,

I am told Simon Nevill is a good bird man and he is certainly a good
Photographer, but the book mentioned by Frank O'Connor  below is a
disappointment to any serious Botanically minded person. And at best can be
confusing to an interested amateur. At least our copy is - maybe it has been
revised and the incorrect captions and indexing has been fixed. For the
money and the number of illustration it does seem to be good value, but I am
sure if it were a bird book Frank would think twice about giving it such a
recommendation. [This is no reflection on Frank, who does say he is not a
flower man !!]. I will write directly to you Irene at a later time with some
relevant information on the flower side of your question. However with
regard to Ground Orchids I suggest you get a copy of Orchids of South-West
Australia  by Noel Hoffman and Andrew Brown, Published by University of WA,
it was available from CALM [Conservation and Land Management] in Perth. We
found approximately 100 species of Ground Orchids in 1998 and photographed
85 of them including some rare ones and new hybrids. I will let you have
details ASAP.

Frank O'Connor wrote in part.

"I know very little about flowers, but orchids should be good in areas such
as Stirling Range.  I very highly recommend Simon Nevill's book "Guide to
the Wildflowers of South Western Australia". "

John & Ruth Walter
Pittsworth SE Qld
27 43 31S  151 38 03E