birding-aus

Swifties, etc

To: "Chris Tzaros" <>
Subject: Swifties, etc
From: "J & C Krohn" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 22:36:36 +1000
Chris (and all),

Yellow-tufteds were the most numerous and conspicuous honeyeaters around
Stawell/ Deep Lead during our Swift Parrot search two weekends ago.  We also
had a few Fuscous, and lots of Black-chinned calling.  Other Honeyeaters
included White-naped (once), White-plumed, New Holland, Brown-headed,
Eastern Spinebill, Red Wattlebird and Noisy Miner.  There were plenty of
Musk Lorikeets, a few Purple-crowned and the odd Little Lorikeet as well.
Flowering was limited to a few patches of Grey Box, a couple of Yellow Gums
and sparse but widespread flowering of Mistletoe.

I put in a report to Victorian Birdline of a most unusual sighting by my
parents in Glen Iris last Friday of several waves of Swifts, most probably
White-throated Needletails, over their home in Glen Iris last Friday 7 June.
There were some dozens of birds passing over, circling but making net
progress from east to west in discrete groups.  From the (admittedly old)
Victorian Bird Atlas it seems extraordinary for Needletails still to be
around Victoria in June, although I noticed a record over Glen Waverley
(another eastern suburb of Melbourne) in late May in a recent Birdline
update.  perhaps the unseasonal weather conditions over recent months have
resulted in aerial invertebrate food-stocks surviving in worthwhile
quantities much later into the year than normal.  But I wonder if these
birds will make it back north of the equator at this year?

Very much looking forward to the Atlas launch.

Regards,

    Jack Krohn