birding-aus

Swift Parrots in Brisbane

To: <>
Subject: Swift Parrots in Brisbane
From: "Simon Kennedy" <>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 15:33:46 +1000
Hi all,

Just letting qld birders know I have seen Swift Parrots over most of the last few days in Brisbane.  I have seen them with Rainbow, scaly, little and musk (yes musk) lorikeets at Bowman Park, Bardon about 6km west of the CBD.  Look among the big flowering Forest Redgums near the corner of Bowman Parade and Chiswick/Simpsons Road.  There is a small flock of five flitting around, and I must admit they haven't been seen every time.  I no longer get birding-aus, but email me if you want any more details, I'm only too happy to help.

Debbie Saunders and Chris Tzaros are away at the moment, so I'll steal their thunder by saying the most extraordinary results came in for the Swift Parrot count.  My beloved box-ironbark forests in Victoria are dead quiet as far as honeyeaters and lorikeets are concerned, and at least 700 Swifties have been recorded on the coast between Sydney and Brisbane.  So as it turns out the Brisbane sighting is no happy accident but part of an amazing shift in the population this winter, which I think has great conservation significance.  I travelled to Inglewood-Karara in southern Queensland for my survey, the 800km round trip for a big 0!, but good budding of key eucalypt species.

Simon Kennedy, Brisbane