birding-aus

New Zealand - Tiritiri Matangi Island

Subject: New Zealand - Tiritiri Matangi Island
From: Gil Langfield <>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 21:46:18 +1000
On my third attempt this year, I finally got back to Tiritiri to look for the Kokako which I had not seen on my other visit about a year ago. I spent most of my time on the island near the water trough on the Wattle Track where I had been told a year ago the birds might be seen. Eventually, my patience was rewarded when two (of the nine on the island) of these very handsome birds appeared and jumped from branch to branch in the low trees. I had to reassess my opinion that the Saddleback was the most handsome of the NZ forest birds.

This is a good spot for just about all of the forest birds on the island and while waiting I saw Saddleback, Silvereye, Tui, Bellbird, Whitehead, Red-fronted Parakeet, Stitchbird, N Z Robin, Grey Fantail and Brown Quail. Others saw the Grey Gerygone here.

Look on the WWW for the Tiritiri Matangi Supporters' web site for details on access.

Regards,

Gil Langfield
Melbourne, Australia