birding-aus

Yellow-faced Honeyeater Migration

To: <>
Subject: Yellow-faced Honeyeater Migration
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 09:47:15 +1000
Hi Birders,

To add to the conflicting reports about Yellow-faced Honeyeater migration, I will fill you in on my experiences this year on the Central Coast. here yellow-faced Honeyaters are resident in small numbers throughout the coastal forests and woodlands and present in large numbers from April to August in all habiats, particularly coastal heaths where they mainly exploiy the Banksia ericafolia heaths and Scribbly Gum woodlands where B. ericifolia is the dominant understory plant, in Scribbly Gum & Red Bloodwood woodlands where B. oblongifolia and spinulosa are the dominant understory plants, in coastal melaleuca swamps and forests mostly M. quinquinerva, and in the flowering Swamp Mahogany forests.

Yellow-faced Honeyeater migration commenced with a bang on 12 April  particularly in the northern part of Wyong Shire (c,.100 km N of Sydney), like Bushells Ridge, Munmorah, Chain Valley Bay, Swansea and quickly spread both northwards and southwards, by 15 April they were passing over my house in surburban Chittaway Bay and were still flying over today! There are as many this time as I can remember. The Swamp Mahogany is flowering profusely as is the Banksias, and the birds to some extent are moving back and forth bewteen all these patches as different clumps appear to be flowering at different times. It was my feelinfg that these birds did not move up the coast but rather came in from the west, say down from Bucketty so that these birds could have moved along the Great Dividing range and some where north of Katoomba, turned east and moved towards the coast as if to now avoid Sydney urban area.Silvereywes have very very common too.

In the past I have observed large numbers moving north from Swansea to Belmont, with big concentartions developing at Coon Island Swansea, waiting to build up courage to fly across the Swansea channel. The usual Brown Goshawks and Sparrowhawks can often be seen, harrassing the concentrations and causing flocks to split and reform as they wait to make the dash over the water!

My information is different to that of Paul Osborn, located on the western side of Lake Macquarie who said yesaterday that there had been few Yellow-faced passing through Cooranabong.

Alan Morris