birding-aus

Best spots

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Best spots
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 14:45:45 +1000
g'day all,
I would like to nominate Lake Moondarra, Mount Isa, NW Qld. for possible inclusion on the "Best Spots" list
I admit this is a larger area than envisaged by Ralph Reid.

Yesterday, I escorted Glen and David Taylor from Brisbane to several locations around the lake where we collectively recorded 86 species including -
-- Black-breasted Buzzard (my nearest sighting of this species was 30km south of the Isa)
-- White-winged Black Tern (my 4th sighting of this species here)
-- Painted Finch  (only a few)
-- Long-tailed Finch (only 2)
-- Green Pygmy-goose
-- Grey-headed Honeyeater
-- Black-tailed Treecreeper
-- Spinifexbird
-- Baillon's Crake (about 8 of them and only 3 metres away !)
-- Brolgas (11) soaring overhead were quite spectacular

Unfortunately the sedge where I saw Swinhoe's Snipe a few weeks ago has been trashed by cattle.
The only waders recorded were Sharp-tailed Sandpipers and a single Marsh Sandpiper.
Unfortunately many other recently recorded species were absent this day.

I might add we did not leave town till 9.00am, took our time and stopped for lunch at Stone Axe Ck (NW corner of the Lake) waiting for the Finches to arrive.

Instructions to access some parts of the Western side of the lake can be obtained from the Birds Qld Web page http://birdsqueensland.org.au/

Additionally, I have a 2nd hand report of a recent Carpentarian Grasswren sighting along this access road at a location I have previously postulated as suitable CGw habitat.

Please email me for a copy of my 158 species Excel format Bird List (that includes Slater and S&D page references) for the lake area
It is sorted into Atlas Form sequence ... but can be sorted into Field Guide page sequence.

 Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.