birding-aus

Black-tailed Native-hen at Ash Island Ponds

To: <>
Subject: Black-tailed Native-hen at Ash Island Ponds
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 18:53:10 +1000
Hi Birders,

I made a brief visit to the Ash Island ponds this morning with son Tim, and while there met Peter Settle from the CCFOC Group. He told me that he had just seen a Black-tailed Native-hen and Spotted Crake in Crake Corner, just off Wagtail Way. He said that he saw the BTNH at the Ponds one week ago, his first record for the species. Alas it was mid-day by the time we left, the sun came out and we saw no Crakes or BTNH. However there were still c 300 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, 12+ Greenshank, 50+ Red-kneed Dotterel, 12Black-fronted Plover,1 Red-Knot changing plumage and a Black-tailed Godwit not in breeding plumage. 600 Stilts and 600 Grey Teal and 800 Chestnut Teal , 3 Caspian Terns,a Hobby, Whistling Kite and Kestrel, with Swans nesting in the top freshwater pond,  and Black-shouldered Kites and a few Avocets

For the first time that I was aware there were at least 2 Torresian Crows calling prominently with the Australian Ravens that were mobbing a Whistling Kite. A new bird for the site?

Always a great place to visit.

Alan Morris