birding-aus

Spotted Quail-thrush Cinclosoma punctatum - fragmentation & decline in

To: Lawrie Conole <>
Subject: Spotted Quail-thrush Cinclosoma punctatum - fragmentation & decline in western Victoria?
From: Ian May <>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 18:14:33 +0930
g'Day Lawrie

During the 1960's (1966?) while working for the Victorian Forests
Commission (Forest Assessment section) was involved with the original
survey to mark the eastern boundary of Lower Glenelg National Park
adjacent to the Kentbruck section.  At that time the eastern boundary
was nothing more than a line on a map.   On the ground it was unfenced,
an imaginary line through uncleared mostly unburnt stringybark
eucalyptus forest with open areas of heath.   Spotted Quail-thrush were
relatively abundant mostly near the forest/ heath margins and also in
forest with grass trees.  During the survey period, numerous groups were
seen most days.  Never observed them in the western sector of the park
or north around Princess Margaret Caves but they were plentiful along
the eastern boundary.  They were also present in the Kentbruck forest.

Robert Farnes of Portland informs me also that Spotted QThrush have been
seen regularly near there too.  I passed your message to him.

During other forest surveys from 1965/67,  SQT  were frequently seen
along the Tea Tree spur south of Bright and also the Wombat spur east of
Wonongatta, usually not far below the snow gum line.  They were also not
uncommon in button grass? growing in the older Radiata Pine forests near
Myrtleford too.

On a different subject I think you may have mentioned recently flushing
snipe from forest heath.  You might be interested that during the
boundary survey of LGNP, we frequently flushed Japanese Snipe from the
heath there too.   Snipe were regularly flushed from forest heaths near
Daylesford and other forest areas near Poweltown, east of Melbourne
during forest assessment surveys in the 60s.

Hope this may be of interest to you

Regards

Ian May
Adelaide