birding-aus

Why biridng-aus

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Why biridng-aus
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 10:51:24 +1100
> Allan Benson wrote:
>
> Over many years of subscribing to birding-aus, I've noticed the following
> relationship
>
>             R = 1/F
>
> Where  R = Relevance
> F = Frequency of contribution......

Which means that those who say nothing (F=0) are the most -
actually infinitely - relevant !!  :-)

[cf. cricketers who score runs in a Test series but have
never been out: before long young Gilchrist's performance
will show that those should be listed at the top of the
averages, not at the bottom with a "-".]

For the last complete month (February 2002) those with 10 or
more contributions (according to the archive) were:

 John Gamblin                                        34
 Tony Russell                                        25
 Terry Pacey                                         24
 Laurie&Leanne Knight                                23
 david camilleri                                     14
 Bob Forsyth                                         13
 Hugo Phillipps                                      13
 David.Geering                                       12
 Stuart Cooney                                       11
 Andrew Taylor                                       10
 Steve.Clark                                         10
 jilldening                                          10

There were several with the highest relevance score using
the formula (amongst those who did post messages).  Allan
will be glad to know he was amongst them.

I don't propose to follow Allan's line of nominating
favourites (although I have reasons for being thankful to
all the above) but I wonder about his criteria. I guess I
would give greater weight to the fact that current human
generations are almost certainly the last to be able to
prevent many species going extinct.

Michael Norris