birding-aus

Trip report: Truganina Explosives Reserve, Altona, Victoria

To: "Lawrie Conole" <>
Subject: Trip report: Truganina Explosives Reserve, Altona, Victoria
From: "Bob & Sadhana Cook" <>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 19:59:11 +1100
Hi Lawrie

Good to see yet another report of Crested Pigeons close to the City.  With
other recent reports and the time I saw a pair at the Albert Park Golf
Course about a year ago, they seem to be re-establishing well and have the
Ferals surrounded!!  Should we arm then with "weapons of mass destruction"??

Here in Mildura, there are a couple of communities of Ferals around the
city, but they are well outnumbered by the Cresteds.

We are still enjoying ourselves in the Mallee region, much better weather
than Melbourne, and enjoying the local species.  Pied Butcherbird calls
outside our caravan each morning to wake us, heaps of Pelicans, Darters,
Cormorants on the river.  Resident Black Kites along this stretch of river
are quite numerous but do not seem to dispute with each other or with the
also resident Whistling Kite.

We have birded and Atlassed almost every likely (and a few unlikely) area
within 100kms or so.  A highlight recently was White-winged Fairy Wren at
Gol Gol North, about 10kms NE from Mildura.  I think this is quite close to
the edge of their range.  White-backed Swallows at Mungo National Park was a
tick for us.

Biggest buzz however was the Mallee Emu-Wren near Hattah that I reported a
few weeks ago.

We are going to spend a week in the Flinders Ranges and another week at
Coffin Bay after Easter.  Hope to catch a few specialties over there. Will
try for the Hudwit at Penrice on the way - if it's still there (with Tony's
nail in its foot).

Regards
Bob & Sadhana Cook