birding-aus

Lake Victoria, Pt Lonsdale - Pectoral and Double-banded.

To: <>
Subject: Lake Victoria, Pt Lonsdale - Pectoral and Double-banded.
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 12:40:29 +1100
Hi All,

I visited Lake Victoria near Point Lonsdale over the long weekend and the place
was teaming with waterbirds abd wader, with the highlight including a pair of
Pectoral Sandpiper and a pair of Double-banded Plover.

I had excellent views of the Pectoral Sandpiper, which as usual were in amongst
Sharpies, Red Neck's and Curlew Sandpiper (some of which were clearly
displaying their reddish breeding plumage). This lake is particular good for
getting close to the waders at the moment: the water levels down and if things
are quiet you can get within a few yards of the waders.

I visited the lake a couple of times over the weekend, and on the second
occasion there was a pair of Double-banded Plover - and may have flown in over
night? They were in brownish, non-breeding plumage, and were immediately
distinguished from the numerous Red-capped Plover by the larger size and more
up-right stance. These were on the shore to the right of the small car park -
which is access via Emily St, off Fellows Road.

As has previously been reported on birding-aus there are also thousands of
Black-winged and Banded Stilt plus similar numbers of teal.

For directions see:

http://maps.ausway.com.au/ausway.cgi?CITY=MELBO&SPOT=&STREET=OCEAN&SUBURB=POINT+LONSDALE&MAP_RANGE=1.2&MAP_LOCATION=144602588,-38275832.8

All the best,

Tim