birding-aus

The Big Twitch Goes To Brisbane

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: The Big Twitch Goes To Brisbane
From: "Sean Dooley" <>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 12:30:18 +1100
On February 11th, with my year's total on 262, I arrived in Brisbane to inflict The Big Twitch on that unsuspecting town and its surrounds. After checking into my bland package deal hotel and unpacking, I wandered down to the Brisbane Botanic Gardens to ease my way into South East Queensland birding.

Even though I saw less species here than I did on a similar stroll through the Melbourne Botanic Gardens at the start of the year, the birds seemed that much more exciting, with species such as Blue-faced Honeyeater, Figbird, Torresian Crow, Pied Butcherbird, Australian Brush-Turkey, and Spangled Drongo adding an exotic flavour for this "Mexican". At the lilly ponds I was able to get within a ridiculously close distance of a Great Egret, and any doubts that all the sweat of a tropical Brisbane afternoon were worth it were dispelled when I locked on to a raucously calling Channel-billed Cuckoo, embarrassingly a bird I have only ever seen once before.

Up at dawn the next morning (which due to Queensland's insistence on not adhering to daylight savings means a five o'clock start) and down the coast into New South Wales to try for the SIPO which I had dipped out on eighteen months before.

I stopped en route to look for the Painted Snipe that had been reported at Hope Island, but failed to find what I thought could be appropriate habitat apart from a miserable swamp that was little better than a flooded ditch which had a few birds on it, including Chestnut-breasted Mannikin, but no Snipe.

Driving down to the SIPO site, without getting out of the car I still managed to clock up new species, namely: Common Tern, Little Corella, Bar-shouldered Dove and Osprey. That day there the weather report later said, there was only one place in New South Wales that had any rain- Ballina. And I reckon it all fell on me on Patch's Beach. Just as I found a likely bunch of oystercatchers, the heavens opened up, the grey curtain of rain obscuring the birds from a distance of twenty metres. They all flew off for shelter I assume. I stayed trying to tough it out, but twenty minutes later the downpour hadn't let up, I was shivering and my equipment (including expensive video camera) was soaked through. I bid retreat to the car and spent the next few hours driving around, exploring the country south of Ballina while everything dried out, adding Gull-billed Tern, Brahminy Kite and White-cheeked Honeyeater.

Back in the late afternoon, and the Oystercatchers weren't a convenient two km from the Patch's Beach car park, instead at least five kilometres further on. After scanning over sixty Pied Oystercatchers I finally got on to a likely bird. It wasn't as obvious as I had been led to believe, but eventually I got good enough views of an oystercatcher with markedly shorter legs, a different, "dumpier" stance, seemingly finer bill, consistently white patch on the wing edge no matter what the wind conditions, and a brief flight view revealing a lot more white in the wing and underwing than the other oystercatchers, leading me to tick off my first South Island Pied Oystercatcher. One interesting thing I noticed, that I don't think I'd heard of before was the different way it held its shorter legs. The OZPOs generally stood upright, knees, barely bent. The SIPO however most often stood with its legs bent, feet thrust forward, adding to its different, more crouched posture. I lingered so long trying to get better views and good video shots that I didn't get back to the carpark until well after dark, thankfully finding the turn-off into the dunes without too much trouble.

The next morning I picked up ace local birder and long time birdwatching buddy Andrew Stafford and we headed up into the hills west of Brisbane. A brief stop at a "dead cert Jacana dam" failed to find any Jacanas but we did get great views of Tawny Grassbird, Double-barred Finch, Olive-backed Oriole, Striped Honeyeater, Pheasant Coucal and later, Wandering Whistling-Duck. Up into the rainforest at Lacey's Creek, our prime aim being White-eared Monarch, a bird that had always eluded me. As Andrew got out of the car he said, "We should get the monarch, but they can be hard work. Oh look, there's one now." And sure enough in the tree by the car was both a juvenile and adult White-eared Monarch flitting about. Oh if only it was always this easy.

There were a lot of other rainforest birds about, but we had to work a lot harder to get a glimpse of them. By the time we left this spot we clocked up Little Shrike-thrush, Yellow-throated and Large-billed Scrubwren, Spectacled Monarch, Pacific Baza and a brief yellow and black flash of a male Regent Bowerbird.

Further back down the valley we stopped near Lake Samsonvale hoping for Red-backed Button-quail and King Quail. We briefly heard a button-quail, but no luck in sighting one, a similar story for Lewin's Rail.

Walking along overgrown grassy tracks we were discussing how it looked like we would also dip on the King, when a female King Quail flew up from immediately beneath our feet- another species that had eluded me for years.

Back up into the rainforest at Mt. Nebo and we had good views of Wompoo Pigeon, Green Catbird and Logrunner.

Late afternoon now and we are back down on the coastal plains at Andrew's sure-fire Grass Owl site. Unfortunately the area had overgrown with a choking small grass, making the habitat unsuitable. I did add Brown Quail and Red-backed Fairy-wren, which was not enough to make up for the disappointment of seeing these magnificent owls.

The next day I was solo again and headed back down to the Gold Coast to try for the Snipe again. Turns out my "flooded ditch" was the site, so a careful vigil finally yielded a male Painted Snipe. No young birds or females were seen, so hopefully the birds had not been moved on by the acts of thoughtless, impatient twitchers as has been reported. I must say the whole area was constantly being disturbed by people walking dogs, jogging, parking their cars and even a council vehicle slashing grass. That the Snipe were there at all is somewhat of a miracle. Despite these disturbances, I managed to see 28 species including Buff-banded Rail, Latham's Snipe, Intermediate Egret, Striated Heron, and a flock of forty-seven Glossy Ibis.

A detour down to Hastings Point nabbed me a mainland Wandering Tattler and my 300th bird... drumroll please... Richard's Pipit! Hardly a stunning milestone bird, and one I should have got onto earlier but amazingly had missed at places like Werribee.

To be continued...