birding-aus

DDT

To: "lorna bloom" <>, <>
Subject: DDT
From: Paul Foxworthy <>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 10:40:26 +1100
At 08:52 AM 19/02/2002 +1100, lorna bloom wrote:

What is the latest thinking of the use of DDT?

I have been in correspondence with someone living in Africa, who says people
over reacted to this pesticide and that it's a crime it has been banned.  He
reckons it should be reintroduced to third world countries.

Here are some of his arguments:

The pesticide essentially wiped out malaria in America and Europe.

Isn't that statement equivalent to saying that DDT eradicated the Anopheles mosquito in America and Europe?

From the History of Malaria site at http://www.museums.org.za/bio/apicomplexa/history_of_malaria.htm:

"1940s: Large-scale spraying with DDT of breeding areas in the US but probably contributed little to the final disappearance of malaria because competent vectors still remain. There are still occasional outbreaks of malaria in the US, associated with infected people coming back from malaria areas."

I'll bet malaria was in long term decline in the North before the introduction of DDT and I wonder if there are any numbers to imply DDT made any significant impact on the trend.

Have a look at http://www.malaria.org/teachingmodules/ddt.html for a Flash presentation that makes the case for DDT.

Then see http://whyfiles.org/016skeeter/kill.html for another perspective. This article mentions that mosquitoes build up resistance to DDT so it is of limited use on its own.

There's a lot of material on this controversial topic on the Web. If anyone's interested, try searching Google (www.google.com) for words like malaria, DDT, eradicate, history, Europe and US.

Cheers

Paul Foxworthy

---- Coherent Software ------------- http://www.cohsoft.com.au/ ----
For interactive Web sites, databases, software, animation
Aust. Family History Compendium at http://www.cohsoft.com.au/afhc/