birding-aus

Sensitive sites

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Sensitive sites
From: "Terry Pacey" <>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 16:15:54 +1000
I have given a lot of thought as to whether I should post this or not.  I
have been helped in my decision by many private messages of support.

This topic has been discussed on Birding-aus in the past, with mixed
opinions.  I had private thoughts about the topic but never strong enough to
contribute.  That has changed.

The behaviour of some of the birders who have been to see the Painted Snipe
that I reported have hardened my resolve.  Never again will I divulge the
site of rare and/or vulnerable birds to ANYONE.  This includes members of
the organisations to which I belong and friends.  It is unfortunate that the
few spoil it for everyone else.  The disappointing thing is that some of
those who behaviour has brought on this decision are well known birders who
hold positions on some birding groups.  It also makes we wonder if I want to
belong to such groups.

Terry Pacey