birding-aus

Vandals and Insurance

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Vandals and Insurance
From: "Terry Pacey" <>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 17:03:37 +1000
For all those who visit the northern Gold Coast and bird in the Coombabah
Lakes reserve, some @&#$ arsonist(s) have burnt down the boardwalk.
They tried on one night and when the Fire Brigade acted like inconsiderate
so and so's and put it out  after two thirds had been burnt down, he (they)
went back and finished the job last night.  Some of the bush land was also
burnt out, of course.  The Council had built the boardwalk at a cost of
$250,000.

The insurance problems that are affecting many areas of Australia (and the
rest of the world) have finally impacted on birding.  The Gold Coast City
Council now has notified us that motor vehicles are not allowed in the
Treatment Plant at Coombabah.  We have to park at the office and walk
around.  This is fine for most birders but a number of members of the local
club are only capable of short walks and Coombabah was always a great place
to bird as you could drive in, park, walk a short distance, drive on and
repeat the performance.  The reason of course is the restrictions enforced
by insurance.  It may only be a short while before we are prevented from
entering at all.

This is something to ponder as it will only become worse in our litigious
society.

Terry Pacey